Monday, September 23, 2013

Differences of Opinions

This is the start of a discussion I had with another individual who identified himself as a police officer. This exchange took place after a lady was stopped by police for a traffic violation.

Click on this link to get up to speed on this lady . . . I open the exchange with Joe. This is why I write.
  Christina

“I don't mean to scare you here, but I am teaching law enforcement, my second book is set to be released (which I suggest you not read, it would upset you), and am striving to grasp those moments where we can learn and make improvements to policing. The proper use of force, where people aren't unnecessarily injured or killed (you read about the young, unarmed man in Charlotte, who was shot tens times by a cop after he was in an accident? - right) The officer was charged with a crime for his efforts. Please check into that and get back to me, I'd be interested in your response.”

joe hoffman on Sep 18, 2013 at 16:51:49

“"you read about the young, unarmed man in Charlotte, who was shot tens times by a cop after he was in an accident? The officer was charged with a crime for his efforts."

Yeah, I read about it and like I said on Police One.com today, there is simply not enough information at this time for me to condemn this officer. I do NOT criticize other LEOs for use of force incidents until I know for an absolute fact that they did something wrong. There have been FAR too many incidents where officers were publicly thrown under the bus by their own departments or outside agencies only to later be cleared in court. 

Ever hear of Jon Josey, Chris Geraci and Taylor Sterling-Santino? All three are officers who worked for different departments. All three were charged with assault stemming from use of force incidents. I read about their individual cases on Police One and publicly predicted that all three would be cleared when their cases went to court. I was right in all three instances.”

joe hoffman on Sep 18, 2013 at 16:43:24

“"am striving to grasp those moments where we can learn and make improvements to policing."

I have no problem with that, but implying that LEOs should sacrifice their safety just so the criminal doesn't get hurt is NOT the way to go about facilitating improvements. If I have anything to say about things, I am going home alive and uninjured at the end of my shift. I will use whatever force becomes necessary to ensure this happens. How it looks on camera means absolutely nothing to me. I've made hundreds of physical arrests and never had one complaint substantiated against me, so I'm obviously doing something right. 

"The proper use of force, where people aren't unnecessarily injured or killed" 

Well, that all starts with the actor not resisting arrest and fighting with the police. This situation is a perfect example. Had West simply complied with the officers and not resisted and assaulted them, she would not have been injured. It's as simple as that.”

joe hoffman on Sep 18, 2013 at 16:33:09

“"I don't mean to scare you here"

LOL. You don't scare me. You make me laugh, actually, because, in most cases, you criminal justice/law enforcement professors are a joke. In most cases, you guys are elitists and snobs who lack fundamental patrol experience. It's like you all can't wait to publicly throw LEOs under the bus, and usually, no reason exists to do so from the start. This isn't the first time I've called one of you out online, although I will give you credit for being the first one to respond to me. 

By the way, I have a Criminal Justice degree and it's absolutely worthless to me. In my opinion, it's nothing but a money making racket. There was no structure and consistency to how it was taught and it never helped me get a job in law enforcement. What got me the job was being a good test taker and military preference points. Nowadays, I tell aspiring LEOs to forget about Criminal Justice and get a degree they can actually fall back on if they can't get into law enforcement.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Truth as I see it has been Rejected!

  Your comment on "Arrests follow barricades and encampments as college students nationwide protest Gaza war" violates the communi...